History of Martin Glass
Martin Glass is a family owned and operated company whose original focus was auto glass installation. In addition to auto glass, our other product offerings include: custom shower enclosures, a variety of custom and framed mirrors, custom glass furniture tops, framed artwork, ClosetMaid closet systems, and cultured marble. Since our establishment in 1933, our primary commitment continues to be customer service and safety. We take pride in offering quality products and services to our customers.
Our history begins in 1933, in the garage of the home of our founders, Martin A. and Helen Kosydor. A few years later, Martin and Helen opened a retail store in East St. Louis, IL. Martin Glass was one of the first auto glass companies in the metro east area to offer mobile service. At that time, all vehicle glass was cut as needed, then installed in vehicles at the customer's home or work. Martin and Helen's twin sons, Martin F. and Marvin started working for the business at an early age by cleaning and working in the shop. Martin F. and Marvin took over the company when Martin A. retired in 1965.
In 1972, Martin F. acquired the company. Martin and his wife, Donna, opened a new store in the Belle-Valley Industrial Village located in Belleville, IL. The East St. Louis store closed a few years later and Belleville became the corporate office. The additional warehouse space in Belleville allowed the company to make truckload purchases giving the company a competitive advantage in inventory and pricing. In 1977, a branch store opened in Fairview Heights, IL and in 1980 another branch opened in Collinsville, IL. These two branches later consolidated into our current Collinsville location. In 1982, a branch in Saint Louis was opened, which allowed us to produce a larger service area in Missouri. Around this time, sales representatives were hired to promote the company to insurance agents, car dealerships, body shops, and fleet companies. In 1992, our most recent branch opened in Litchfield, IL. With the addition of these three branches, our current service area covers metropolitan St. Louis and the southwestern and central regions of Illinois.
Martin Glass continues to expand. Our growth is attributed to excellent service, quality products, and exceptional workmanship. Third generation family members Martin S. and Marla manage the company today. Fourth generation members Marty and Kelli are currently active in the company as well, and they will carry on the responsibilities of Martin S. and Marla when they retire.